Monday, October 8, 2007

The First Test

The First Physics Test
I don’t know about everyone else but I am relieved to get that first test over with; especially since that was my first test as a college student. I was unhappy with how I responded to the question, involving the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. I figured that would be the topic of this blog. In a slight attempt to redeem myself for the foolish answer I gave on the test. Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle in equation form looks like this: where is the uncertainty in position, is the uncertainty in momentum, and is
h-bar. Now if you were to ask me to use this formula to calculate something I would be completely lost be unable to. When professor Maleki wrote this on the board I remember thinking to myself “what the hell is that!!?” This confusion was brief as Prof. Maleki followed with an explanation what event my little brothers would have been able to follow. Their will always be an inherent value of uncertainty in the results. Precision in measurements is near impossible dependent upon your instruments. The main point was that you can’t measure all the values at once or as Prof. Maleki repeatedly stated “Nature is allusive” That you can not find the exact position and momentum of an object, or you can not know the exact energy and time of an object. This is conflict with Classical Physics which states that you can all measurements are obtainable the only obstacle would be the precision and accuracy of the equipment and observer. Whereas Heisenberg states that regardless of faulty equipment or human miscalculations that certain measurements are unobtainable. This in my opinion is extremely disturbing, that science can be limited like this.

No comments: